1. DIYTechnicalAnalysis is a private community of traders and investors interested in building wealth from Indian equity market. You can become a member with a one time registration fee of ₹199. Click here to become a member

Investment Return Vs Investor Return – Why Investors Earn Below Average Returns?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by shabbir, Jul 14, 2018.

1. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

The average retail investor isn't able to create wealth in the market despite markets doing so well. Why there is so much gap between investment return and investor return?

Continue reading...

2. rcube1972

rcube1972 Member

"Do you agree with my view of why Indian retail investors aren’t able to get the returns?"

I won't get into your view, but i have some reservation about the question itself. Question is why retail investors aren't able to get returns. I think leaving out a few out there, others are not investors at all, they are traders. That's why they are not getting returns.
    I think i should elaborate.
    Buying shares of a company means investing in a business. An investor is supposed to understand the business model and also have a general understanding of the prospect of the company. If he is satisfied that the business has future ,he invests: say @ 10/- per share. Now the business does well and share price appreciates to 50/-. Why does he exit? What could be the reason for exit unless there is a paradigm shift in business policy or Government regulation that puts the business prospect to jeopardy?
    If he is entering at 10/- and exiting at 50/-, he is not a share holder of the business, he is just trading with the shares. Time frame does not matter. It may be intra-day, it may be weekly, monthly or yearly.

chaitanya_mella likes this.
  3. chaitanya_mella

chaitanya_mella Contributor

While I agree to most of it, I do believe that one should book profits from time to time. Either sell some and get back your capital or sell and buyback at lower cost etc. I mean whichever way suits an individual.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Technical Analysis mobile app

4. abhijitupsc

abhijitupsc Contributor

Really good article

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using DIY Technical Analysis mobile app

5. k_singh

k_singh Member

Very nicely explained with examples above topic.followers can benefit from your last experience.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using DIY Technical Analysis mobile app

6. shabbir

Yes true fully. Exits at 50 is often based on his profit consideration and that is when he is trading. If he exits with a view that he will invest in new business is fine.

chaitanya_mella likes this.
  7. shabbir

Thx :D