1. DIYTechnicalAnalysis is a private community of traders and investors interested in building wealth from Indian equity market. You can become a member with a one time registration fee of ₹199. Click here to become a member

SIP style investment during downfalls

Discussion in 'Individual Investing Strategies' started by naveen1241, Jul 14, 2015.

1. naveen1241

naveen1241 Responder

Hi All,

What are your views on starting SIP investments in some of the below stocks ? What could be the possibility of these names regaining their lost glory with a slightly longer term view?

Infosys
    Hexaware
    Wipro
    Canara Bank
    Karur Vysya
    ICICI Bank
    Tata Motors
    Tata Steel
    JSW Steel

Looking forward to hear opinions.

Thanks
    Naveen

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Too many stocks to consider starting a SIP at the same time with long term view and it is an indication that you have not done any fundamental research on any of them. On top of that having 2 steel stocks indicate you are better on some to perform and you make money out of it instead of investing in the business itself.

3. naveen1241

naveen1241 Responder

Thanks Shabbir and you are right. I didn't do any fundamental research myself.
    Was trying to diversify and hence too many picks. To add to that, thought of not relying on a single company for risk aversion reasons. Jindal steel for example, luckily i quit with minor losses from what could have been a blood bath. Hence such a big list and wanted to hear from anyone over here if there is some stock having any particular reason for not going with. And in that way to do an initial screening.

Thanks again.

Naveen

4. shabbir

The pleasure is all mine.

5. prabhjeet

prabhjeet Member

I was looking for answers or strategies best suited for retail investors to invest for long term on regular basis.One of the major constraint for retail investors is investing huge sums at one go as majority have to depend on salary income.Starting SIP is one way to start investing regularly but blindly investing in SIPS could have major impact on portfolio returns as buying during peak valuations will have negative impact in net returns.
    Other strategy is to save money regularly and wait for valuations to come within your purchase range and then buy lumpsum in one go as per the portfolio allocation.But its easier said then done as saving money regularly for investing is difficult when you have a family and related to take care off every month.
    Should we Dave regularly and put in a liquid fund and then use that money to buy in lumpsum at the right time?

SO what is the best strategy to go with?

6. shabbir

When you are doing SIP, you aren't investing in the high or the low but all the time and so that averages out the correction. The problem is, people make SIPs when market is going higher and stop when it is going lower but actually that kills the complete concept of SIP