1. DIYTechnicalAnalysis is a private community of traders and investors interested in building wealth from Indian equity market. You can become a member with a one time registration fee of ₹199. Click here to become a member

Whether we should apply for Paytm

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by bishandixit, Nov 6, 2021.

1. bishandixit

bishandixit New Member

Nil
    Whether we should apply for Paytm

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

I am not applying for the IPO. The allocation is based on lottery and it seldom works for me. I prefer to buy good companies after a month or two after they get listed. It also means the IPO euphoria subsides considerably.

3. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Further I did some research and for me PayTM as a whole is an avoid. I am not able to understand what they do.
    • A digital wallet - Compete with GPay
    • Payments bank - Not sure what it is but compete with HDFC Bank
    • E-commerce company - Compete with Amazon
    • Fantasy sports - Compete with Dream11
    • Mutual funds? Stockbroking? Insurance? Gold? - Yet another app
    So I will like them to first decide what they are and possibly invest then.

Moreover, I prefer to invest in midcap companies that will become large cap. For me the PayTM pricing is such that it is already a large cap company. Pricing the IPO between ₹2,080–₹2,150 per share. And that puts the valuation at about $20 billion (₹1,49,000 crores) — 70x its operating revenue of ₹2,109 crores (as of March 2021)

I am also not able to understand if there is any moat for the company now with UPI payments. Everyone can have a payment system. Google, WhatsApp, Amazon to name a few.